World 100 metres champion Christian Coleman will not be able to go for the Olympic title after being handed a two-year ban.
The American, who won the individual and relay gold at the World Championships in Doha last year, has been banned from competition until May 2022 for breaches of anti-doping ‘whereabouts’ rules.
Coleman is not accused of taking a banned substance but was found guilty of two missed tests and one ‘filing failure’ in 2019.
Three whereabouts failures in a 12-month period constitutes a rule violation, meaning Coleman was banned for two years. He has the right to appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport within 30 days of receipt of the decision.
The indoor 60m world record holder was given a provisional suspension in June after missing a third test in December 2019.
He didn’t contest the first missed test on January 16, 2019 but disputed his filing failure on April 26, 2019. He also contests his whereabouts failure on December 9.
Usyk ‘is a real threat’ to Joshua – with Ukrainian ready to ‘gradually destroy’ Chisora
‘I nearly said I’ve had enough’ – Mark Wood opens up on tough injury battles
Khabib greeted by government officials in Dagestan after ending UFC career
WWE superstars ‘confused’ by Randy Orton’s 14th world title win
Khabib reveals x-ray of broken toe taken before UFC 254 showdown with Gaethje
Jon Jones rips into fans who think Khabib is the GOAT of UFC
GET YOUR HIT
Listen to our new podcast talkSPORT HIT as part of Your Daily Drive
Conor McGregor appears to end retirement as he confirms he is ‘still committed’
The investigation into his rule violations said there was no suggestion he had ever taken a banned substance.
However, the Athletics Integrity Unit’s (AIU) out-of-competition guidelines stats that athletes are accountable for missed tests if they are not at their specified location for the one-hour period they have stated. The tester must wait for the full 60 minutes before leaving.
Coleman insists he was Christmas shopping ‘five minutes away’ from home and the tester made no effort to contact him during his third whereabouts failure.
The 24-year-old also said on social media that he’d be willing to take a drug test every single day for the rest of his career to prove his innocence.
Doping control officers said they waited outside for a full hour, ringing and knocking every ten minutes.
The AIU said shopping receipts belonging to Coleman suggested he was ‘obviously’ not at his home for the entirety of the one-hour period.
Coleman was initially charged by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) with missing three drugs test in twelve months before winning the world’s in September 2019.
It withdrew the case after it was proved there had been a filing irregularity regarding the date of the first missed test.