Universal Credit UK: How claimants could receive additional support in DWP benefits | Personal Finance | Finance


Universal Credit is overseen by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), which aims to provide assistance to those who are out of work or on a low income. The benefit is issued monthly to those who are entitled to receive it, and provides a stream of income to households needing the extra finances. Universal Credit is slowly replacing benefits Britons may be more familiar with, which are known as legacy benefits. 

It is worth noting, however, that both of these payments needed to be paid back through Universal Credit payments over a set amount of time. 

A similar method of financial aid is a Budgeting Advance, intended to help those with emergency financial costs. 

People can claim up to £348 if single, £464 if in a couple, or £812 if a household has children.

This is also a loan which must be paid back over time, but the lowest amount which can be borrowed is £100.

There is other financial support which could also be available to those claiming through Universal Credit.

Most of this support is to do with everyday household costs that people may struggle to meet in a difficult financial time. 

Those who need assistance with housing costs and bills could receive a reduction in Council Tax, a water meter cap under the WaterSure scheme, or Discretionary Housing Payments.

Furthermore, those who are disabled could receive a Disabled Facilities Grant to help with the cost of home adaptation. 

People who are pregnant or have a child may be able to receive free school meals, free early education for two-year-olds, and food vouchers.

And finally, those with legal needs could gain assistance with legal aid, court costs and prison visiting costs.

Any Universal Credit claimant looking to receive any of these additional payments are encouraged to use the government website or contact the DWP to find out whether the payment suits their circumstances. 

Source link

Leave A Reply