Ship that blocked Suez Canal freed after nearly a week – National

Salvage teams on Monday set free a colossal container ship that has halted global trade through the Suez Canal, a canal services firm said, bringing an end to a crisis that for nearly a week clogged one of the world’s most vital maritime arteries.

Helped by the peak of high tide, a flotilla of tugboats managed to wrench the bulbous bow of the skyscraper-sized Ever Given from the canal’s sandy bank, where it had been firmly lodged since last Tuesday.

Read more:
Ship stuck in Egypt’s Suez Canal ‘partially refloated’ after running aground

After hauling the fully laden 220,000-ton vessel over the canal bank, the salvage team was pulling the vessel toward the Great Bitter Lake, a wide stretch of water halfway between the north and south end of the canal, where the ship will undergo technical inspection, canal authorities said.

Story continues below advertisement

Satellite data from confirmed that the ship was moving away from the shoreline toward the centre of the artery.

Click to play video: 'Suez Canal blockage could drive up gas prices'

Suez Canal blockage could drive up gas prices

Suez Canal blockage could drive up gas prices

The obstruction has created a massive traffic jam in the vital passage, holding up $9 billion each day in global trade and straining supply chains already burdened by the coronavirus pandemic.

It remained unclear when traffic through the canal would return to normal. At least 367 vessels, carrying everything from crude oil to cattle, have piled up on either end of the canal, waiting to pass.

Read more:
Freighter blocking Suez Canal could have ‘critical impact’ on global trade, say experts

Data firm Refinitiv estimated it could take more than 10 days to clear the backlog of ships.

Story continues below advertisement

Meanwhile, dozens of vessels have opted for the alternate route around the Cape of Good Hope at Africa’s southern tip — a 5,000-kilometre (3,100-mile) detour that adds some two weeks to journeys and costs ships hundreds of thousands of dollars in fuel and other costs.

The freeing of the vessel came after dredgers vacuumed up sand and mud from the vessel’s bow and 10 tugboats pushed and pulled the vessel for five days, managing to partially refloat it at dawn.

This is a breaking news story. More information to come. 

© 2021 The Canadian Press

Source link

Comments are closed, but trackbacks and pingbacks are open.